God keeps His promises - analytical summary and references
I believe that all spiritual experiences must be checked against the revealed Word of God in the Bible. In no way can anything I do myself form the basis of justification except to believe and accept what He has done for us. I rely totally on His grace and forgiveness, and He has paid the price Himself for that forgiveness.
The following paragraph is an analysis of the events that I have described with scriptural references. The purpose is to give you confidence in expecting God to be true to His Word as you venture to comply with what Jesus has told us to do. Although certain aspects of your experience will be different to mine, the outcome will be the same. The way God has revealed Himself to my wife, for example, has been different to me but the message has been the same. So here is a bald description of the events as they occurred with the scriptures to show you why I did what I did and what happened as a result.
I turned away from attending a spiritualist church, stopped reading Tarot cards and making and reading astrological charts etc.(0).
I approached God as a little child(1). I got down on my knees in the privacy of my room(2) and admitted to God that I was fundamentally evil(3), I was His enemy(4), although I was apparently a nice person to know, consciously and subconsciously my thoughts and actions were motivated by selfishness. I accepted that He had paid the price for the evil state of my soul(5) by leaving His former exalted state in Heaven to be conceived supernaturally and born from a virgin(6), become a man(7) and be unjustly executed(8) on a wooden cross(9) where He took all the curses which were due to me. I believed that Jesus rose from the dead(10). [I believe the crucifixion and resurrection of the Son of God to be the single most important event in the entire history of mankind. I strongly recommend that anyone not realising this yet treat it as a matter of urgency to discover its implications, and for themselves in particular.] I thanked Jesus for His love and sacrifice. I invited Him into my heart as my Lord(11) and surrendered my life Him to direct it as He pleased(12). Jesus revealed Himself to me as an ancient and eternally wise being(13) who was in existence before the world came into existence(14) and knew me through and through(15), although I did not know Him. He forgave me for all I had done(16). He made my spirit come alive(17). He gave me eternal life(18). He opened my understanding(19) so that I could understand the Scriptures (Old and New Testament of the Bible). He took away my fear of death(20). He gave me the ability to overcome temptation in my thoughts. He has enabled me to resist temptation and provided a way out even when I barely had the strength to pray for help(21) and where I have failed, forgiveness and cleansing has been available for me to get up and start afresh. (I have found considering the cross of Jesus to be extremely powerful in eradicating the sense of personal guilt(21a).) He gave me purpose to my life and helped me to make sense of it(22). I told people that I was now a Christian(23). I told people in public what Jesus had done for me and what He could do for them(24). I wore a badge at all times to show that I was associated with Him and provoke discussion(25) (I am not implying that the Bible tells you to wear a badge!). I spent time each day in prayer and reading the New Testament(26). I joined a Christian fellowship(27). He answered my prayers(28). I asked for His Spirit(29). He gave me His Spirit to live in me for the rest of my life(30). I asked for the ability to speak in tongues(31). He baptized me in His Holy Spirit and gave me the ability to speak in tongues(32). I was baptised by immersion(33). He gave me power over evil spirits by using His name(34). He has healed many of my sicknesses and those of others that I know(35). He revealed Himself to me so that I could see Him with my physical eyes(36). He revealed to me the purity and holiness of His nature(37). He revealed to me my selfish evil nature. He justified my existence on this earth and accepted me for what I am(38). He revealed His unselfish love to me and drowned me in His love almost to annihilation(39). He has kept His promises. He has provided for me(40) and enabled me to overcome all problems and difficulties in my life(41). Sometimes he has taken the problems away. I have asked for wisdom in countess situations and He has given me wisdom to deal with them and overcome them(42). He has enabled me to study, provided for me and my family while doing so, enabled me to pass exams with distinction and earn a living (I am a post graduate scientist with a PhD and have worked in industry as a senior scientist)(43). He was with me at every stage(44). He is making me a whole person and enabling me to be a blessing to others(45). The number of answered prayers and times he has enabled me to do things is countless(46). God's faithfulness has been true in spite of a long period of disillusionment with my church experience, listening to and then unlearning misleading or unbalanced teaching and problems associated with inconsistencies and contradictions in my own personality which have take years to come to light but which are being resolved with God's help. But that is another story which is still ongoing and beyond the scope of what I wanted to describe and explain here.
As I said at the beginning, I believe that God knows and loves every man, woman and child in the world that ever lived and it gives Him no pleasure at all to see any one of them lost(47). I urge you to consider carefully what I have written so that you may receive what God has provided for you.
References (God keeps His promises)
0) Leviticus 19:2 "Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, 'You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy. Leviticus 20:6 'As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists, to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people. Deuteronomy 18:10-12 "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. sorcerer, "For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you. Acts 19:19 And many of those who practiced magic brought their books together and began burning them in the sight of everyone; and they counted up the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
1) Matthew 18:3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Mark 10:15 "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."
2) Matthew 6:6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
3) Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" Mark 10:18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?
4) Matthew 12:30 "He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters.
5) 1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
6) Phillipians 2:5-8 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Matthew 1:23 "Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel," which translated means, "GOD WITH US." Luke 1:34-35 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin?" The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
7) Luke 3:23 When He began His ministry, Jesus Himself was about thirty years of age, being, as was supposed, the son of Joseph, the son of Eli,
8) Matthew 27:24 When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather that a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of this Man's blood; see to that yourselves." 1 Peter 2:22 who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in his mouth; 2 Corinthians 5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. Matthew 27:35 And when they had crucified Him, they divided up His garments among themselves by casting lots. Mark 15:24 And they *crucified Him, and * divided up His garments among themselves, casting lots for them to decide what each man should take. Luke 23:33 When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left. John 19:18 There they crucified Him, and with Him two other men, one on either side, and Jesus in between.
9) Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us-for it is written, "cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree"-
10) E.g. Matthew 28:1&9 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.... And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of His feet and worshiped Him. Matthew 28:16-17 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. Mark 16:9-12 Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons. She went and reported to those who had been with Him, while they were mourning and weeping. When they heard that He was alive and had been seen by her, they refused to believe it. After that, He appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking along on their way to the country. Luke 24:33-35 And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found gathered together the eleven and those who were with them, saying, "The Lord has really risen and has appeared to Simon." They began to relate their experiences on the road and how He was recognized by them in the breaking of the bread. John 20:18 Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and that He had said these things to her. John 20:26 After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."
1 Corinthians 15:5-8 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.
11) Matthew 22:37 And He said to him, "'you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' Luke 4:8 Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'you shall worship the Lord your God and serve Him only.'"
12) Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
13) Luke 11:31 "The Queen of the South will rise up with the men of this generation at the judgment and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. Matthew 13:54 He came to His hometown and began teaching them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers? Mark 6:2 When the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue; and the many listeners were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things, and what is this wisdom given to Him, and such miracles as these performed by His hands? Daniel 7:9 "I kept looking Until thrones were set up, And the Ancient of Days took His seat; His vesture was like white snow And the hair of His head like pure wool. His throne was ablaze with flames, Its wheels were a burning fire.
14) John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
15) Job 21:27 "Behold, I know your thoughts, And the plans by which you would wrong me. Psalm 139 1-4 O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all. Jeremiah 17:10 "I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds.
16) 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
17) 1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
18) John 17:2 even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life.
19) Luke 24:45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,
20) Hebrews 2:15 and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.
21) 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
21a) John 3:14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;
22) Jeremiah 29:11 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
23) Matthew 10:32 "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
24) Mark 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
25) Luke 12:8 "And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God;
26) 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
27) Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
28) John 14:14 "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. John 16:23 " In that day you will not question Me about anything. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you.
29) Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"
30) Hebrews 13:5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"
31) Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
32) 1 Corinthians 14:18 I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;
33) Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus *arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. Matthew 3:14 But John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?" Matthew 3:15 But Jesus answering said to him, "Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he *permitted Him. Matthew 3:16 After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, John 13:16 "Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. & Mark 1:9 & Mark 1:10; Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. & Luke 3:21; Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Colossians 2:12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
34) Mark 16:17 "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;
35) Matthew 9:35 Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.
36) Acts 9:17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit." 1 Corinthians 15:8 and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.
37) Mark 1:24 saying, "What business do we have with each other, Jesus of Nazareth? Have You come to destroy us? I know who You are- the Holy One of God!" John 6:69 "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."
38) Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, (work in this context meaning doing things in order to justify oneself to God).
39) 1 John 4:8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
40) Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
41) Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
42) James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
43) Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
44) Matthew 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
45) Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
46) Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
47) John 3:17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
All references are taken from the Updated New American Standard Bible Copyright 1999 The Zondervan Corporation.